Is There Asbestos In Your Christmas Decorations3rd December 2019
Every Christmas across the UK, everyone pulls out their used Christmas decorations without thinking much of it. Up until a few decades ago, asbestos was widely used in a lot of household items, including Christmas decorations. Asbestos has fire retardant properties, a highly desirable attribute for items that will be placed on flammable trees and near fairy lights (which are susceptible to overheating). Unfortunately, there is only so much the government can do after the ban and some people may still own vintage Christmas decorations, unknowingly putting themselves at risk every year.
How can I identify asbestos in my Christmas decorations?
Asbestos appears as a rough, fibrous texture, creating the snowy look that people are looking for. If you have any particularly old looking Christmas decorations, then it’s better to be safe than sorry and you should consider getting rid of them. If you’re emptying out an old storage area, you may even come across old fake snow, which is made of pure asbestos, which must under no circumstances be discarded by a non-professional.
Another source of asbestos that people may not think about is the asbestos that was used for insulation in the attic. Many people store their Christmas decorations in the attic during the non-festive seasons, meaning asbestos can fall onto your decorations, and when you remove them, they’ll be covered in the toxic fibres. It’s impossible to predict how many homeowners across the UK are exposing themselves to asbestos every year through their decorations, so make sure your house is asbestos-free and get a professional to inspect your property.
What should I do if I suspect asbestos in my Christmas decorations?
If you think you may have some contaminated Christmas decorations, we’d recommend getting in touch with a professional immediately. You should not disturb the decorations as much as possible and if you have found old fake snow in your decorations, vacate the area immediately. Discarding of asbestos Christmas decorations is not something you should do yourself – even the slightest movement of the items can release toxic fibres into the surrounding atmosphere, which can potentially cause life-threatening health issues decades down the line. You should contact local experts to come to the contaminated place, as they’ll have the proper equipment and training to ensure the risk is properly assessed and removed.
Asbestos Waste Solutions has been working in the asbestos removal industry for over 20 years, giving us the experience needed to complete every job to a high standard. Our team offers an efficient and competitively priced service for both commercial and domestic customers. Get in touch today if you’d like to know more about our services.This entry was posted in Asbestos in the Home. Bookmark the permalink.